User login

Girls Inc. Online

Discover how exciting it is to be you... today and tomorrow.


Meet Marcy: Executive Who Supports Girls in Science

Marcy Reed is President, Massachusetts at National Grid, a utility that provides electricity and gas to homes and businesses. She also has a passion for encouraging girls in science and technology. 

Urban Planner

Do you like to think about how to make your city better? Urban planners develop long- and short-term land use plans to aide growth and revitalization of urban, suburban, and rural communities, while helping local officials make decisions concerning social, economic, and environmental problems.

Technical Illustrator

Are you a very precise person? Do you like to draw? Technical illustrators make detailed drawings of physical objects. They illustrate rooms for an interior designer, buildings for an architect, or plants for a landscape architect.

Education Required: Associate's or Bachelor's degree


Are you a detail-oriented person? Do you like to keep track of your surroundings? Surveyors map official land, air space, and water boundaries, write descriptions of land for deeds, leases, and other legal documents, define air space for airports, or measure construction and mineral sites.

Education Required: Associate's or Bachelor's degree

Real Estate Broker

Are you good at convincing other people to see things the way you do? Real Estate Brokers are independent business people who sell real estate owned by others and rent and manage properties.

Education Required: Associate's degree or vocational training; many states also require a license


Do you like to be outside and work with your hands? Painters paint walls, equipment, buildings, bridges, and other structural surfaces, using brushes, rollers, and spray guns.

Education Required: High school

Marine Architect

Do you love the water? Marine architects design and oversee construction and repair of marine craft and floating structures such as ships, barges, tugs, dredges, submarines, torpedoes, floats, and buoys. May confer with marine engineers.

Education Required: Bachelor's degree

Landscape Architect

Do you love the outdoors? Do you like to arrange and organize? Landscape architects plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, highways, hospitals, schools, land subdivisions, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.

Education Required: Bachelor's degree

Interior Designer

Would you like to help people plan the space they live or work in? Interior designers plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings.

Education Required: Associate's or Bachelor's degree


Do you love to make very detailed and realistic drawings? Draftspeople prepare detailed drawings of architectural designs and plans for buildings and structures according to specifications provided by architect.

Education Required: Associate's or Bachelor's degree